A month in OPP history is behind us and we are steadily clipping away at new content, adding features/lore while ever tweaking balance and small QoL things. But a few recent events have came to light and I personally wanted to address a few issues.
First, we spend money monthly pointing people to get Perpetuum via the steam client. We do this because the logical steps is: buy the client, fire it up, see OPP server and play. The intent is to continually funnel new players to the server. I don’t think I have to say this but I will, we do not receive any money for the Steam sales. The advertising we do is a push for Perpetuum itself. Regardless if people play on our server or not it’s a win win for Perpetuum.
Now the community plays a vital role in this. Your role is more important then anything we as developers could ever do. Your role in the new player experience is to recruit, train and guide players in their experience by giving them a sense of purpose. This in turns provides content for new players and veterans and these players strike out into industry or pvp. This is the organic flow that ALL mmos must have to survive.
Anyone who played vanilla Perpetuum knew its major pitfall was population. OPP is no different in that our active player base is between 100~140ish unique players spanning all time zones. So where you, as a veteran of Perpetuum and wanting to see it succeed, need to help us, the OPP developers, out by doing the following:
- Be proactive with the market place. This game will only succeed if things are getting placed on the market. We can add features to help be more proactive at pushing players to the market but ultimately it’s upto the sandbox community.
- Be proactive in the community, if you see questions in help and general you know the answers to please respond.
- Not everyone is a GODDAMN SPY.
- Show civility in PvP engagements, mild banter is okay just don’t flame troll.
- Stop treating everyone as a GODDAMN SPY.
- If the game has a decreased number in general chat, look at the server population list at Perpetuum-online before making comments about how dead the population is. This has a negative effect on the general population of new players. And often is untrue.
- Place accounts into general chat. Don’t make it look like a ghost town.
You guys are making excellent strides on suggestions and overall feedback for the game. We are working as fast as our part time schedule let’s us. And thank you again for all your hard work from the community level because without you we wouldn’t have a game worth playing!!
If anyone has more suggestions for game advertising please let us know and we will push to allocate money if it’s a worthwhile endeavor.